- Founded in 2008, a fully in-house, "grain to bottle" craft outfit and Chicago's first distillery since the 1800s.
- Founders Robert and Sonat Birnecker chose to leave their academic careers to bring the distilling traditions of Robert’s Austrian family to America, and create a new signature style using only the "heart" cut of the distillate.
- The name Koval means "blacksmith," in numerous Eastern European languages and "black sheep" in Yiddish - or someone who forges ahead or does something new or out of the ordinary.
- Fans of KOVAL Dry Gin will taste a similarly crisp spirit with flavors from rose hip, juniper, angelica root, and coriander, but will appreciate a new level of depth and touch of oak from the spirit's time resting in a KOVAL whiskey barrel.
- A whiskey drinker's Gin.
- Gold Medal (Packaging), 2016 Los Angeles International Spirits Competition
Silver Medal, 2016 Spirits International Prestige (SIP) Awards.