2013 Jim Barry "The Armagh" Shiraz, Clare Valley, Australia, 750ml
Regular price $1,680.00
- The flagship red wine from this estate, rated 2020 James Halliday Wine Companion Winery Of The Year.
- HK stock immediately available in cases or loose bottles with no minimum order quantity.
- Named after the Clare Valley settlement founded by Irish settlers in 1848.
- The vineyard itself was planted in 1968, on a north-west-facing sandy gravel slope elevated at 400 metres above sea level.
- Hand harvested, crushing and fermentation in small stainless steel tanks with heading down boards is followed by ageing in French (70%) and American oak hogsheads for 15 months.
- Sits somewhere between the vigorous, elegantly structured muscular style of Wendouree and the chocolatey richness of Penfolds Grange.
- "Never the flashiest or most opulent Shiraz, The Armagh endures as a savory classic. The 2013 Shiraz The Armagh continues in that same vein, with scents of roasted meat, scorched mulberries and hints of vanilla leading the way. It's dense, concentrated and full-bodied, with supple (almost creamy) tannins that conceal much of their power in their ripeness, without the wine ever seeming too ripe, too oaky or too fruity. Those tannins linger and turn to silk on the long finish, picking up lively red berry and orange zest nuances. Good stuff."
96/100 Joe Czerwinski for The Wine Advocate/Robertparker.com