2013 Maximin Grünhauser "Abtsberg" Riesling Spätlese, Mosel, Germany, 750ml
Regular price $260.00
- From an historic estate on the left bank of the Ruwer.
- Owned by the Carl von Schubert familu and divided into three separate but contiguous vineyards: Abtsberg, Herrenberg, and Bruderberg.
- Wines from this vineyard were originally destined for the table of the Abbot (or “Abt”) of the Abbey of St. Maximin. The site covers 35 acres, parts of which have been planted with vines for over a thousand years. The subsoil is blue Devonian slate and the hillside runs south-east to south-west, achieving a gradient of up to 70 percent.
- The Spätlese is made from a selection of grapes harvested later in the season.
- "Pale gold. Elegant floral lift to the aromas of ripe pear, muskmelon and vanilla. Concentrated, velvety tropical fruit flavors are animated by the wine's herbal minerality. Still tightly wound and closed, with the region's classical salty edge hinting at good potential."
89/100 Joel B. Payne for Vinous, 2015